5 Questions with a Male Stripper

By on June 1, 2009

malestrip

Darren Michaels, creator of Workouts For Busy Professionals, and author of the upcoming book The Science of Stripping, is a mild mannered chemist by day… by night he is one of the Bay area’s most in-demand exotic male dancers.

1. How exactly does one wind up a male stripper?

It’s is all about connections.  I was very fortunate to get trained by a veteran dancer who provided me a valuable lesson in learning to get the money before the girls.  When I started, I just wanted to get the girls.  I didn’t realize that when the money flows, their juices flow.  I learned that if I just satisfied our mutual thirst, then I would have pissed away much precious coin.  This lesson taught me to go after the money, then the girls.

Also, a near death experience turned my life around.  I went from being a boring, unattractive nerd who stood in night club lineups, paid cover, and consistently struck out with girls to becoming a Jedi in the art of exotic dancing.  In 2005, I spent five days bedridden in a hospital, my eyes fixated on a white ceiling, missing the sunshine and sandy beaches of California.  One of my organs was gone for good.  I reflected on everything I had done up to date, realizing that the first 27 years of my life had gone by in a blur, without me accomplishing any of my goals.  Sure, I had gone to school, finished with two university degrees and got recruited by a pharmaceutical giant.  And I was making a decent wage, and driving a fast car.  But my death experience was my catalyst for freedom.   And right now, I’m living the life.  I have a lean physique with ripped abs.  I wrote a book, produced a workout DVD, and then formed my own company, ABmiration.  When I go to the clubs, now it’s exclusively VIP; “cover charge” is no longer in my vocabulary.

Even though I’m a nerdy scientist by day, photographers snap me when the sun goes down.  I meet tons of women, and trust me, taking their money and giving them an ex(r)otic adventure is no problem for me, either.  Learning how to become a male stripper has been a blast for me.

2. What was your scariest night stripping, and why?

Back in the early days, when I was still earning my stripes and taking dancing lessons, I landed a bachelorette party in a rugged east bay town in Northern California.  The party consisted of an African American female motorcycle gang, most of whom were twice my size, all decked out in tattoos.  Harley’s littered the premises;  the bedroom that I changed in had their official biker jackets.  The host greeted me with:  “White boy, you better be able to move!” I was super- intimidated, but showed no fear.  I was very authoritative in instructing the girls, and getting them to take turns in the hotseat.  I didn’t build up suspense in shredding my business suit.  Instead, I took it off like it was on fire, and gave out lap dances right away .  I got the party in high gear.  I never made much money at that gig, but it gave me confidence in handling any situation.  Now, after 281 parties, I wouldn’t even sweat a party like that.

Pages :« 1 2»

I'm Bobby Rio, one of the founders of TSB. You'll know more about me on . I tend to write about what is on my mind so you'll find a mix of self development, social dynamics and dating articles/experiences.  For a collection of some of my favorite articles check them out.

Pages: 1 2

1. rube

June 1, 2009 at 2:58 pm

wow. this was awesome. enough said.

2. Kevin

June 2, 2009 at 12:42 am

Fascinating article. Thanks!

3. Pingback: TSB Magazine Interview with Darren Michaels | only.abmiration.com

4. richard

January 29, 2010 at 11:31 am

very inspiring reading, thanks for this dude!.

5. Gary

March 4, 2010 at 3:38 pm

your story is really inspiring to me, recently i have been thinking about becoming a male stripper, i just moved to sacramento and dont know anyone, i was wondering how to start finding contacts with some connections and where is a good place to start, like the club, parties ect.?

6. dylan legend

June 5, 2010 at 6:55 am

Love the story, im pretty sure i am the most in demand strippers though ;) With 300 parties in only a matter of months. I like what you said about the dancing background and not being in shape for it. same here man! I have been making pretty damn good doe! The key to becoming a great stripper is doing something no one has ever seen before.. Or having props that no one has used. You’re right it’s a total mind game. gymnastics help like a no other in the stripping game. If you can twist a chick, flip her, roll her, roll around her, flip onto her & off her etc.. You’re gonna be a star. Good Biography Props to you! Great story!

Dylan, Legend.

7. Male Strippers Melbourne

August 5, 2011 at 1:53 am

In Reply to:Anonymous says:
    July 30, 2011 at 7:09 pm
    Im a Male stripper in Melbourne Australia. And i found the best way to get into the industry is, work as a topless waiter and revenue shows or at Bachorlette parties. That way u will see the Male strippers in action and will know if its for you and if you will be up to it.
    Hope that helped :))
    Andrew

8. Male Stripper Melbourne

August 5, 2011 at 1:54 am

Sorry At* Revue shows ect..

9. Tammi Murphy

August 6, 2011 at 2:40 pm

This is a great article! I’ve been working with male and female strippers since the 90’s and this article really rings true.

Thanks for sharing!
    My Bonafides: http://www.rivercitystrippers.com/

10. Jeet

September 15, 2011 at 11:48 am

Hey gr8 story bt i m in india nd dont kno where to start from r der any chances for me in indian clubs or r der any clubs in india or at mumbai dat promote male stripping

11. Anonymous

May 21, 2013 at 2:53 am

the race of the party in which you felt wasn’t your finest performance makes no difference. It shows your true character…