The Top 10 Best Workout Songs

minute-workouts1You’re sweating like crazy. You’re panting like a basset hound in a sauna. You’re just trying to get through three more reps of lat rows without pulling your back out or dropping thirty pounds of metal on your precious toes. There’s only one thing that you need, and that’s some music to see you through these dark times at the gym. And since this probably happens more frequently that you’d like to admit, we’ve got ten jams so perfect for endorphinizing they’ll practically grow your muscles on aural impact.

1. “I Predict a Riot” Kaiser Chiefs
    Do Kaiser Wilhelm proud and give the dumbbells hell during the war that is your workout.
  2. “Closer” Nine Inch Nails
    Just think “I wanna pump you like an animal” when you look at the lat row machine.
  3. “Don’t Stop Believin'” Journey
    Or running on the treadmill, fatty.
  4. “Gold and a Pager” The Cool Kids
    Lift to the beat of the weird thwacking sounds on this track and your quads will practically feel like you’ve been gettin’ lo at the club for thirty-six hours straight.
  5. “She Loves Everybody” Chester French
    Nothing gets the heart pounding and the aggressive weight lifting catalyzed like a song about that disarming waif that won’t stop sleeping around.
  6. “99 Problems”
    You’ve got 99 problems but the gym won’t be one with this song.
  7. “Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue” The Ramones
    Sniffing glue might make a workout more interesting but probably less productive. This song is a solid first runner up.
  8. “Thrills” LCD Soundsystem
    If you’ve got three minutes and forty-three seconds left on the treadmill and don’t think you can possibly bear the boredom anymore, skip ahead to this track.
  9. “I’m On” DJ Khaled feat. Nas
    If you really need a pep talk, this song will get you through a workout as “Come on” is chanted, as well as other equally motivating and brief maxims such as “I’m on” are also repeated several times.
  10. “These Things Take Time” The Smiths
    I don’t think Morrissey meant getting a sleek physique when he wrote “These Things Take Time,” but it’s true. So get over it and tallyho!

About TracyOneill

Tracy is a freelance writer based out of Brooklyn obsessed with nutritional supplements, mediocre music, audacious (to put it politely) apparel, literary giants, and perfecting the fine art of the Sunday Bloody Mary.

1. PeteTheFreshman

July 16, 2009 at 3:16 pm

This list is not complete without Eye of the Tiger….

2. Ruppy

July 16, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Thanks for the list, I am always looking for cool, pump-up songs to add to my playlist.

3. Michael

July 17, 2009 at 4:39 am

I just know you’re gonna get dissed by the metalheads in the audience. Heh.

My current top 10, in no particular order:

Money City Maniacs – Sloan
    Love Removal Machine – The Cult
    3 AM Eternal – KLF
    You Shook Me All Night Long – AC/DC (Dude!)
    Morning Glory – Oasis
    Rockin’ in the Free World – Neil Young
    Run (I’m a Natural Disaster) – Gnarls Barkley
    Everybody’s Got Something to Hide But Me and My Monkey – Beatles
    Discipline – Nine Inch Nails
    New York Groove – Ace Frehley

4. Rob

July 17, 2009 at 1:24 pm

First of all, lat rows with 30lb?
    Also this list seems more like music to nap to.
    Lift while listening to Pantera, case closed

5. Gavin

July 18, 2009 at 2:55 am

Just curious, but you’re talking about the Linkin Park remix right? The original has a TERRIBLE instrumental.

6. philworkout

November 19, 2009 at 8:28 pm

Hey guys, a bunch of good songs here. I’m going to copy some of them to my website, http://workoutsongs.net … I personally find Eminem – Rabbit Run one of the best workout songs, for weight lifting. If you are going for rock, go for Marilyn Manson – Beautiful People.

7. mike

November 19, 2009 at 8:30 pm

ambitions as a ridah by tupac and im me and 3peat by lil wayne

8. The_King

June 3, 2010 at 11:12 am

What the hell is this list? Course it is written by a women, none of these songs will help you squat or bench over 100 lbs. These would be good for stretching, yoga and using a pink medicine ball.

Men in the gym should listen to angry rap and metal. Don’t even bring your cell phone inside.

9. Horia

May 24, 2011 at 1:08 am

Check out my website dedicated to songs for working out, if it doesn’t get moderated out. 🙂

x