What Can We Learn From The Code of the Hobos?
In 1900, the town fathers of Britt, Iowa invited Tourist Union #63 to bring their annual convention to town, and the National Hobo Convention has been held each year in early to mid August ever since. Hobos stay in the “Hobo Jungle” telling stories around campfires at night. To celebrate the Americana that is the Hobo, we here at TSBmag felt the need to share the Hobo Code. This ethical code was created by Tourist Union #63 during its 1889 National Hobo Convention in St. Louis Missouri. It was voted upon as a concrete set of laws to govern the Nation-wide Hobo Body:
1. Decide your own life, don’t let another person run or rule you.
This is America lead your life how you want to lead it.
2. When in town, always respect the local law and officials, and try to be a gentleman at all times.
Very rarely can you say that you fought the law and won. You don’t have to respect the individuals but you do need respect the authority they weld. Beside who want’s to get locked up?
3. Always try to find work, even if temporary, and always seek out jobs nobody wants. By doing so you not only help a business along, but insure employment should you return to that town again.
People remember good, hard workers… showing up to work early, leaving work late and taking the jobs that others aren’t will to take gets you noticed. You be the first to get hired and the last to get cut.
4. When no employment is available, make your own work by using your added talents at crafts.
Idle hands are the tools of the devil, you never know when your hobby might become a career.
5. Do not allow yourself to become a stupid drunk and set a bad example for locals treatment of other hobos.
Being the crazy drunk guy stops being cool midway through college. Don’t be the bad apple that gives the rest of your group a bad rep.
6. When jungling in town, respect handouts, do not wear them out, another hobo will be coming along who will need them as bad, if not worse than you.
Being down on your luck can happen… that’s life. Repeatedly being down on your luck and needing help could be a sign that perhaps the problem is you. Regardless don’t wear out your welcome.
7. Always respect nature, do not leave garbage where you are jungling.
No one wants to see a pile of garbage when they are expecting to see nature’s beauty…. if you come across some pick it up.
Do girls leave you confused as to whether or not they like you?
Let's face it. Girl's don't make it easy for you. She will often send mixed signals leaving you unable to tell if she is being friendly or flirty. If you read her signals wrong you risk rejection and embarrassment. Or worse, you blow it with a girl who wanted to kiss you.
Here is a simple and innocent move that will instantly tell you if you're in the friend zone, or if she's waiting for you to kiss her.
We respect your email privacy
About PeteTheFreshman Finding hot chicks, gadgets and hanging out with bands is a tough job, but someone has to do it... Self proclaimed gonzo journalist, tech monkey, and lush, PeteTheFreshman writes the posts that require the least amount of writing skill.