Fashion Don’ts For Pick-Up
Short post today, inspired by how terribly most guys dress.
I admit I am a little fashion obsessed and I am actively working on being less into it.
However, 100% of all guys I meet who are into pickup could benefit from a makeover or even just avoiding the following 5 bad fashion ideas.
1. Don’t dress like somebody you’re not. The number 1 fashion issue I see with guys who get into pick up, is that they feel the need to dress like somebody else, rather than finding an attractive stereotype that they actually fit into.
If you’re 48 years old and rolling around in Affliction shirts and True Religion jeans, that is weird. Ditto the computer programmers in leather jackets and New Rocks. Almost EVERY stereotype has an attractive way to dress that fits into it.
If you’re a nerd, google the term “geek chic” or better yet, look for pictures of Lebron James in his sweater vests and nerd glasses to see how nerdy can be made to look cool. There’s a reason I can pick out guys who are into pick up in ANY room and most of it is because of the obvious incongruity between who you are and how you are dressed.
2. Don’t wear clothes from 10 years ago. A lot of guys (especially you older guys)are still wearing clothes you bought up to 10 years ago!! I understand that this is very utilitarian of you and that you don’t care about what you wear.
But guess what? Fashion changes 4 times a year!!! Every season there are new trends, looks, hot fabrics,designers etc. So if you’re still wearing clothes from even 2 years ago, they’re not 2 years out of fashion, they’re 8 seasons out of fashion. Kinda makes it seem like a bigger deal when you multiply by 4, huh?
You need to buy clothes EVERY year and ideally you’d buy 1 new item every time you got paid. DON’T do what a ton of clients have done and go out and buy a whole new wardrobe for like 3k. Instead try to update your wardrobe piece by piece until you have a whole collection of cool looks that you like and feel express who you are.
3. Don’t wear clothes that don’t fit you! You’d be amazed at how many guys show up to bootcamps with jeans that are a few sizes too big, t-shirts I could conceal a nuclear bomb in and ill fitting polo shirts emblazened with the logo of the bank they work at.
The biggest things with clothing is that it HAS to fit your body. Not the model in the ad’s body or the body you wish you had. That means no XXL t-shirts when you weigh 140 LBS, no jeans that are too baggy and make you look like a teenager, adult shoes instead of Costco running shoes etc…
You want clothes that fit you flatteringly, so if you’re overweight you want something to hide that not accentuate. Same thing if you’re really skinny. It is much better to wear cheap clothes that fit you well and flatter you than to wear an expensive ill fitting outfit.
4. Don’t Mix and Match looks. This used to be more of a problem when pea-cocking was all the rage. You’d see a bunch of guys with zebra striped hats, feather boas, lunchboxes and a mix of stuff that got attention but didn’t have an overall theme as an outfit.
I was definitely guilty of this on more than one occasion. The thing with clothing, is that it is an expression of who you are, and people will judge you on it. I’d go so far as to say that the way you are dressed contributes at least 1/3 of your total first impression.
So you want to have a cohesive theme to your outfits. I have some outfits that are punk rock themed with leather wrist bands, spiky hair, tight jeans, tight leather jacket, band tees, and vans sneakers. I have other outfits that are more Preppy which feature rugby shirts, designer but not distressed jeans, neatly styled hair, nice boots, and a fake Louis Vuitton messenger bag.
If you saw me in either outfit you’d immediately be able to see what kind of message I was sending about myself on that particular day. All your outfits should be similarly planned out for what the overall theme is.
5. Don’t over-accessorize. For guys less is definitely more in the accessory department. I have enough female friends to tell you that too many accessories comes off a little bit gay to most girls.
You don’t need to wear 10 rings or even wear a ring necklace and bracelet. Ideally as a man you want to have 1 accessory that lets a girl start a conversation with you if they’re attracted. No more, no less.
That should help you all dress better.
About john sinn Sinn is widely regarded as the second best PUA in the world. Sinn is known for his hard nosed style and take no excuses approach to teaching. He is a nondenominational teacher, which means that he subscribes to no particular method and instead blends the best of every school of seduction to create the best possible results for himself and his students. Sinn is currently running his own pick up company The Sinns Of Attraction, which offers live, phone and email training.