Improve Voice Tonality and Vocal Projection (w/videos)
I’ve learned several things about my body language, posture, and voice tonality recently with all of the videos and radio shows we’ve been recording.? While there are definite areas of body language that I need to improve, our recent Steve Pavlina interview really emphasized my need to improve my voice tonality.
Awhile back I bought a voice recorder, and was recording many of my conversations and making a conscious effort to review and improve on my tonality.? After making great strides in the tonality department, I sort of stopped paying attention, and have since found that I’m starting to slip back into my old negative habits.
This post is to remind myself and others struggling with proper voice tonality the important points in achieving proper tonality.? At the end of the brief article I’ve included two videos on tonality.? Tonality is really something that you need to hear examples of to fully grasp it.? One of the best programs out there on voice tonality is Non Verbal Sexual Cueing.? It was originally what I learned from, and what I am currently listening to again.
Tips for improving voice tonality
1.? Increase you self confidence. I know this sounds like a cop out answer… but I firmly believe the amount of confidence you have in your self at the time directly influences your voice tonality.? One of the reasons that I think my tonality was off so much in the Steve Pavlina interview was because I was a bit uncomfortable interviewing him. This lack of confidence lead to hesitation upon asking the questions, causing my voice to leak out of me instead of being projected out.
Self confidence also plays a part daily as the less “observed” you want to be, the less your likely to project your voice so that others can hear you loud and clear.? People with a strong anxiety about disturbing others tend to speak lower with less enthusiasm.
2. Talk from your diaphragm.? When listening to myself on podcasts I’ve found that there is a distinct difference in the times I am speaking from my diaphragm and the times I am speaking from my throat.? When I speak from my throat my voice comes out weak and uncontrolled.? Speaking from the diaphragm enables you to get that deep fluctuating and fun tonality.
3.? Speak with the appropriate volume.? An alpha male wants to be heard, not ignored.This is not an invitation to be overbearing or obnoxiously loud, but just a reminder to speak like you are proud of what is coming out of your mouth and you want to make sure its importance is delivered on all those intended to hear it.
4.? Speak slower.? Nervousness tends to make us speak a bit faster than usual. It is almost like we are blowing through words, not really wanting to be heard, but just trying to fill the dead air.? Not only does speaking too fast make you come off as a bit insecure, it also gives you less time to think about what you are saying and are more likely to say something foolish.? Speaking slower also gives you a better opportunity to listen to the other person and direct the conversation as you please.
I found a good exercise on Kino Wear for improving vocal projection.? Here is is:
- Sitting straight, place one hand on your belly and another behind your back opposite your hand on your belly.
- Breath in, attempting to move both hands out as far as possible (it takes a lot of strength to get your hand on your back to move; don't worry if it doesn?t). This is belly breathing. Notice how it feels; this is how you want to breath when you speak in order to use your full lung capacity and get the fullest, strongest, and richest sound.
- Exhale quickly, but make no sound as you do so. Sound is an indication of tension.
- Breath in again. Now, when you exhale, say the first letter of the alphabet.
- Continue until you reach Z. As you progress through the alphabet, pretend that with each letter you are speaking to a target farther and farther away. Pause if you get lightheaded, and wait a few seconds before you go again. By the time you reach the end, you should be very loud and strong. If you're still breathing right, you will be stronger than you could be breathing normally.
Below are a couple videos that I found from Mystery and Love Drop on delivery, and Natural Tim on voice tonality.? I’ve found that with subjects like voice tonality and body language you really need to see examples in action to really understand.
[media id=226 width=500 height=400] [media id=225 width=500 height=400]
Word-For-Word Lines For
In this FREE Manuscript:
We respect your email privacy
About Bobby Rio I'm Bobby Rio, one of the founders of TSB. I tend to write about what is on my mind so you'll find a mix of self development, social dynamics and dating articles/experiences. For a collection of some of my favorite articles check them out.