» How to Walk Like An Alpha Male

by Bobby Rio on February 11, 2009

How to Walk With Confidence

AtkaI posted this awhile back, but at the request of a friend, and with the recognition of the post’s importance, I am re posting it again below.

I’ve had many guys tell me that this one article changed their game dramatically. It can be said that inner game can be a product of your physiology. If that is true, then this technique alone will drastically improve your inner game.

The Gunslinger Walk by Sebastian Drake

Throughout society, people often get into a situation where two people are walking directly at each other. Whenever this happens to you, one of three things happens typically:

I. You move for the other person.
II. You both move halfway out of the way.
III. The other person moves for you.

People move for people that they see as higher status than them subconsciously. The most common and obvious example are beautiful women, and then high status men. The man might have status from a style of dress, large muscles, or just the way he carries himself.
When you move out of someone’s way – especially a beautiful woman – you’re signifying that you see her as better than you. This does not bode well for meeting her later.

Henceforth, you NEVER move for another person based on status alone. You’ll move if you meet someone handicapped, elderly, or young children – and that’s it. With people who are also high status, you will move a half-step out of the way, and they will move the other half step. With a solid presence, you will feel people who believe themselves lower social status than you moving out of your way as you move through the world without you even doing anything.

The Gunslinger’s Walk is a highly exaggerated style of walk based on highly successful men and the caricature and archetype of an 1800’s gunslinger – either the white-hat sheriff, or the black-hat bandit. Men who moved with raw electrifying presence.

Gunslinging isn’t necessary, but it can be a hell of a lot of fun. It’s mirrored off people who brim with the utmost confidence. Simply observing one of these people can strike wonder, awe, and inspiration into the hearts of those around them. The key elements of a Gunslinger’s Walk are:

Horizonview: Staring beyond the crowd and expecting it to part.

Thrown back shoulders: The essence of good body language.

Roll in the heels: An exaggerated roll of the heels at the end of each step.

Roll in the hips: An exaggerated push from the hips with each lift of the leg.

Slow movement: Moving extremely slowly through crowds.

Knowing smile: The disarming, self-assured smile finishes the look.

The Horizon view

The legendary cowboys did not look at a crowd as they moved through it: Their eyes were always looking past, staring off into the horizon and the adventures that lay beyond. In modern times, you see the most beautiful women and high status men not looking at people directly in front of them, but instead staring past them into the distance as they think about what goals they want to achieve.

Every time two people walk directly towards one another in a straight line, it becomes a negotiation. The lower value person moves from the way of the higher person. By taking a long past view at the horizon, you transcend the negotiation and the struggle, and people are more likely to move out of the way of you as you pass.

Thrown back Shoulders

Rise up to your full stature. Remember to keep your shoulders back and broad at all times, with your chest out and your stomach in. Picture the cowboy – he never made himself small, or meek, or falsely humble. He moved with purpose, and with his full stature.
Roll in the Hips and Heels

When your foot lands, land first with your heel, and “roll through” into the front of your foot, pushing off the ball. To aid you, you can mentally imagine a “ka-ching” sound like a cowboy’s spurs every time your foot touches the ground. Ka-ching… ka-ching… ka-ching…

Throw your hips into your walk, rolling them through so you rock ever so-slightly back and forth each time you move. This will add to your stature once again, and draw a bit more attention to yourself. It’s crucial to keep your view to the horizon if you’re rolling your hips: You look like you’re a larger than life figure that way, as opposed to just trying to court attention.

Slow Movement

When gunslingin’, it’s crucial to move at a slow pace. When you hurry through the world, it’s hard to get people to move for you. To take this to its logical extreme, if someone is stopped, everyone is forced to go around them. So move slower than people around you – it gives you a presence, makes you look powerful, and means people scurrying will tend to defer to you.

The Knowing Smile

When gunslinging, remember to smile – don’t try to “look hard”. It’s a slight, knowing, self-assured and self-confident smile, with just a dash of cockiness mixed in. A slight smile goes a long way with gunslinging to keep curiosity mixed in and soften you up slightly.

How to Part a Crowd

Here’s the secret behind my legendary gunslinging performances: Once two people simultaneously break out of your way at the front of a crowd, people’s natural instincts are to follow the people in front of them. They assume that someone or something important is coming through, and tend to break sideways. The effect becomes more pronounced the more people who do it: So, you start gunslinging, with a view on the horizon, great body language, rolling your heels and hips, moving slowly, with a slight knowing smile. You don’t look at people in front of you that are oncoming, you look at one point off into the distance where you’re walking.

Then, one person moves – then two. Jackpot, there’s a great chance the crowd will break and you can then “part the seas” as you move through it, which creates quite a stir, quite an impression, and quite an entrance.

Directing Traffic

One last tip that’ll help with gunslinging, if you choose to try it. This one’s a bit more advanced and complicated, so get the fundamentals down first.

You can “direct traffic” by which hand you hold up as people are walking towards you. The key is to lift up the opposite hand of the way you want the person to go, with your palm facing towards they way you want them to go.

So, if you want someone to pass you on your left, raise your right arm from your side upwards. Your palm should be facing left. This “directs traffic”, though it’s tricky to get. Once you get it though, it’s invaluable, especially in nightclubs.

The Gunslinger’s Walk is a potential nuclear reactor in your social toolbox, so have fun and use it wisely. Don’t go overboard with it, or get high on the power…

About the Author

author photo

I’m Bobby Rio, one of the founders of TSB. You’ll know more about me on . I tend to write about what is on my mind so you’ll find a mix of self development, social dynamics and dating articles/experiences.  For a collection of some of my favorite articles check them out.

19 Responses to How to Walk Like An Alpha Male

• dannyvlc says:

Yeah love this one Bobby, as we all know, it’s all about body language and how you carry yourself, and ‘the walk’ says everything, can you walk the walk and talk the talk? I like the ‘Gunslinger’ idea and I’m gonna try directing some traffic tommorow, and I will be issuing penalties ttommorow to anyone parking in my zone!

• Sebastian says:

Advice like this is great because your walk like danny said means SO much and SAYS so much about you. I direct traffic when I walk or tell cars to stop…. or come and have perfected the ‘smile’ which has a bit of arrogance in it. But I don’t understand the ‘traffic-directing’ HE talks about in this article at the end. The one where you hold opposite hand with palms faced towards direction yo uwant people to go…. doesn’t doing that seem so un-natural? And do people even understand what that means to go through the other way? I don’t know maybe I’m not envisioning how that’s supposed to look properly…

Overall, this is an old but classic article which can always help new people and remind the rest of us of how important our walk is,

• Pingback: Link Love for Feb. 13th - Just A Guy Thing

• Omar says:

Dope article. Now I know why some guys just won’t move when they see you coming.

• Aaron says:

I had a guy the other day actually describe my entrance into a hallway as that of a gunslinger. before reading this article, I always used the traffic method to announce my planned course. I’ll see if this works without modifying my course!

• K3ViN says:

“you transcend the negotiation and the struggle”. I think you touched on something bigger than a walk. This may be a mindset to hold when talking, touching or performing any action. Transcend any problem that may arise with the idea that you can always move through any issue. The focus is always on the goal and any issue is dealt with when it is met. I’d love to talk more about this. Lets email.

• Truth says:

Please post a video, otherwise its hard to understand how this should look.

• Anonymous says:

I walk this way myself some call it “The Warrior Walk”. My hips move back and forth with each step which rotates my upper body giving me that great shoulder swagger when I walk. One time actually when I was out I heard someone say “that guy walks like gunslinger” and I have people move out of my way all the time as I strut slow. The fact you “lead from the hips” with this walk shows you are sexual to women as well as projecting yourself as self confident.

• Chris says:

This clearly requires a YouTube Video with examples, right? :-)

• Peter says:

SEBASTIAN DRAKE, thank you very very much for writing an unique article about a common situation that occurs daily since world was created: 2 people passing each other in the space.

I live in Romania (Eastern Europe) a very uncivilized east european country that slowly wakes up after the 1989 communism downfall. You don’t imagine people here tend to bump you and to confront you while passing by even if they are in an inferior status position!!!!!!! Women who are ugly and having a terrible body do the same to me.

I daily suffer because I feel so frustrated they are animals, note I’m 6 feet, 205 lbs and strong face features, a strong personality – pleasant looking. In Los Angeles, U.S.A. people gave me the best, excellent treatment (I felt attention and respect) so I’m not paranoid, but hey! U.S.A. is a super civilized country.

Take care and thank you.
    Peter Popovici

• Travis says:

This is the biggest bullshit article I have ever read. All you are doing is creating a whole bunch of stupid young wannabe gangsters that think they are men. They are simply pretending to be men. They take up all of the sidewalk and I constantly have to get upset when they walk in my space. Considering I am 30 and mature, I work, go to the gym, own a home, have a mortgage, have bills, have upkeep of a truck and am currently finishing my degree, my status is much much higher than the little fake primitive Alpha male wannabes I see walking around. An Alpha male is by definition a leader and a leader leads like Bill Clinton, not like some stupid annoying little punk that I want to punch in the face because he is a fake ass man. It’s articles like these that are ruining society and you’re creating masses of idiots in a world that’s already filled with war and intolerance. Woman don’t want morons and you’re breeding them by the dozens. A man doesn’t need to pretend to be a man, he is a man because he works hard and is intelligent. You can’t fake manhood, but some think they can. All these fake ass Alpha male wannabes should all be punched in the face. A real Alpha male remembers names, solves problems, leads a group of other men to victory and has many other friends both male and female. You’re not an Alpha male if you walk like this. You’re an annoyance to everyone around you and all us real hard-working men know you are a joke. Ya, work on moving your hips. That’s what women do.

• Anonymous says:

Sounds like someone is a little upset that they have to move out of the way of ‘gunslingers’ like ourselves..

• Peter says:

All people, men and females are very upset “wanna be confident individuals” try to fool them ! They think “who the fk this dude believes HE is ?” which is understandable… they feel a FAKE attitude and EGO’s also bother each other pedestrian. As long as WE can maintain this walk and confidence NORMALLY not faked, our mood is an improved one, guaranteed, and pedestrians will move aside.

• magnumfing says:

that’s why you’ll always become a loser.

don’t you know? everyone’s a pretender, even those folks you look up to.

• Josh A says:

First rule about fight club never talk about fight club! If you’re alpha you don’t need to say it and a article wouldn’t upset you Travis keep doing what you’re doing just know its guys like you that end up getting cheated on with gunslingers! Have a great day I know I will!

• God says:

I agree.. Readers would be more on track for status if they realized that actual power is far more important than play acting and posing. When a man has power the traits that got him there will do all the talking necessary for status. First get some actual base of power, second learn the strategies that play on others psychologies. This poser talk is something like putting the cart before the horse.

• Gabriel says:

Travis, this article is for man who are shy or they express to much emotions in front of a beautiful woman.
    This thing with emotions, should be a good sign of “likeing her” in front of a girl. BUT, is our falt cuz they confuse this thing with lower status and they reject us before to know how we really are?? ?? ? IF SO, why to LOSE, when we CAN WIN SMARTLY ??
    Life is short, we need to hunt what we want, till we become TRUE LEADERS like you.
    Why NOT use this tricks, to have that beautiful woman we want fast, till we become successfull like you and have that walk, smile, bodylanguage naturally ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

So, Travis, at your 30 years old, and from your posture of a LEADER, you should know that IS VERY SMART TO LEARN FROM A OLD GUY(this site) or LEARNING FROM OTHERS MISTAKES. Tip! – Make your pushes
    and leave this site alone. We need positive thinking, encouragement, tips, not a offensive LEADER GUY :/
    Sorry for typing, i’m not a english speaker. BYE!

• Patrick Bateman says:

You sound like a fucking fag, dude. Go gunsling your boyfriend’s dick, douche.