Keep Your Phone Clean

By on April 7, 2008

Text messages are the easiest way to shoot yourself in the foot. This is because unless you’re continually cleaning out your sent messages and your inbox, you’ve created a paper trail of everyone you’ve talked to.

This is particularly dangerous when you’re juggling multiple girls. Don’t think for a minute that a chick won’t hesitate to take a peak at your message inbox or recent calls.

I had a girl look at my phone this weekend and the result was brutal!!!

I had sent Mike a text this weekend which was simply a funny line from a recent alpha male video that was posted on here. It was an inside joke that I knew Mike would laugh at….

Unfortunately it wasn’t easy for me to explain to this girl why I texted Mike “I fucked Sheila in her ass last night, ohhhh yea”

Sure, eventually I showed the girl the video and smoothed things over, but it was a headache that could have easily been avoided if I had cleared my sent messages daily.

Don’t get me wrong there is a time and a place for using your inbox to create jealousy tools. Plenty of times I’ve purposely left my phone out knowing the girl would peek and see a message I wanted her to see… but those have to be strategic.

Its always best to clear your messages, even if you don’t have any bad ones. This is because just the act of clearing your messages will send a signal of mysteriousness to a girl your talking to. Its better her peak at your phone and see that you’ve cleared your folder, then to see that she is the only one your talking to.

I'm Bobby Rio, one of the founders of TSB. You'll know more about me on . I tend to write about what is on my mind so you'll find a mix of self development, social dynamics and dating articles/experiences.  For a collection of some of my favorite articles check them out.

1. Seduction Chronicles

April 7, 2008 at 9:34 pm

I was at a party the other night, and I was in the process of getting a girl’s number. I pulled out my blackberry and I had 4 TEXT MESSAGES (within like a 30 minute period) from different girls asking what I was doing and where I was. The funny thing about it is that one or two of those are just really good friends, but ignorance is bliss for her. This girl’s attraction switches were getting flicked up and down at such an alarming rate that I was concerned it might cause a severe photosensitive epileptic seizure in the surrounding crowds. =)

Seduction Chronicles’s last blog post..Engage With The Reversal (Stephen Nash Column)

2. Stealth

April 7, 2008 at 10:15 pm

You know, I have to clean out my msgs everyday because I don’t have enough memory to keep up with the txt msgs. ;-)

Stealth’s last blog post..Interesting Point

3. Evil Woobie

April 8, 2008 at 2:40 am

Right! The old excuse of "my younger bro’s been using my phone to text his girlfriends" gets old fast. The sign of a good player is the "no messages" in his inbox.

Evil Woobie’s last blog post..Hints and Commitment: Playing the Love Game

4. eddy

April 8, 2008 at 10:45 am

This is something im very consious of – one girl in particular springs to mind who ALWAYS wants to know whats in my inbox so i never keep anything i dont want her to see and a few that i do want her to see. Fuck though its so complicated all this business really isn’t it? The lengths we go to are just fucking ridiculous when you think about it!

5. April

April 8, 2008 at 8:43 pm

I can definitely see how a guy that is dating different women could get in trouble by not cleaning out his text messages. Good advice lol.

April’s last blog post..Me at 4 years old

6. Anonymous

April 8, 2008 at 9:12 pm

actually this is really good idea.

man i went to this concert and we all went it this big van.

i met this girl i never saw before, she was alright enough for me to flirt with her
    anyway after a couple of minutes she asked me for my phone and i teased her on why she asked me for my phone etc.

well i got distracted by my friends trying to take pictures for their myspace i forgot all about the girl with my phone and I’m positive she was searching on my phone for info on me. luckily i just had a picture of this girl flashing a party which everybody has lol and a picture of a girl and a thong. So it wasn’t that bad but i could saved me time from talking her into a fake story about the pictures.

7. Yummy Stale Bread

April 9, 2008 at 12:13 am

I learned the lesson of not clearing out old text messages the hard way.  Girls will sneak a peak the first chance they get and depending on what the content of those past messages, things can get awkward quickly.  I now clear it pretty frequently.

Yummy Stale Bread’s last blog post..Media Coverage of PUAs: Ross Jeffries & Savoy on Dr. Phil

April 9, 2008 at 12:49 am

What kinds of messages should you leave in your phone?

9. Seduction Chronicles

April 9, 2008 at 2:48 pm

It’s not a problem if you’re honest and direct with girls about what you’re looking for.

If you’re in a relationship, you’re in the relationship for a reason. If you want to cheat, and get caught through text messages, end the relationship first.

Seduction Chronicles’s last blog post..New Review Posted

10. Evil Woobie

April 9, 2008 at 4:58 pm

It has always been my belief that the main reasons why a playgirl or a playboy will try his best "not to get caught" is

1. because he/she wants to end the first relationship(s) on his or her own terms, without inadvertently hurting anyone’s feelings, and
    2. because he wants to keep the relationship going with the first girl without stifling his curiosity of what it feels like to F the other girl

That said, I think that it all boils down to who’s the more intuitive and who’s more clueless. And if you get caught cheating, OWN up. :D

Evil Woobie’s last blog post..The Direct Approach to Making Him Confess: Ask Him

April 9, 2008 at 5:54 pm

I usually delete all my texts if I am in an ltr with a girl, but if your still in the gaming stage, I usually keep texts from girls they know are popular/ very attractive just to get them a bit jealous.

12. athena

April 9, 2008 at 11:31 pm

i understand the need to delete text messages when just playing around  – in fact, i recommend it.  WAAAY too much opportunity for misunderstanding and misplaced jealousy there. and keeping the mystery IS best.

but if you are in a long-term, serious relationship and feel the need to hide things – well, either your relationship really sucks, or you are doing something you shouldn’t.

April 10, 2008 at 12:46 am

I know some chicks that delete their messages. Perhaps secrecy is a good thing.

14. Casper (7 comments)

April 14, 2008 at 6:05 pm

I put a lock on my phone and I have a girlfriend who wants the password. I ask her if I can have the password for her Myspace, If I can read her diary, or if I could read all her emails. She usually shuts up after that.